RodFox

installation of Minima Exposed Blank split reel seat

8 posts in this topic

can someone give me good instructions on how to install the Minima Split reel seat? Doesnt look like it has enough blank area to get a real good bond, and also what type adhesive should I use.

If you use a good paste epoxy to glue the seat to the blank you will not have any problems. I recommend American Tackle's ProPaste. I use the fast cure ProPaste myself. I install the Minima reel seat just like any other exposed reel seat. I just make sure I have epoxy every point where the seat makes contact with the blank. Do not be afraid of the epoxy, put alot on it. Then use paper towels and alcohol to clean it up.

If you use a good paste epoxy to glue the seat to the blank you will not have any problems. I recommend American Tackle's ProPaste. I use the fast cure ProPaste myself. I install the Minima reel seat just like any other exposed reel seat. I just make sure I have epoxy every point where the seat makes contact with the blank. Do not be afraid of the epoxy, put alot on it. Then use paper towels and alcohol to clean it up.

thanks for your help, thats the same paste im currently using, but wanted to make sure the seat wouldnt pop loose, better to be safe now !!!!

Red Fox Thanks for asking that question as I was wondering the same thing. I have four of those seats and was reluctant to put them on with such little surface area.

I do have one question too. I was going to put them on the MHX White blanks and being painted was wondering if I should take the paint off underneath or just rough it up pretty good?

Tom

If your rod blank is too small, MHX .28", how best can you secure the minima ultra, say the smallest one, the 9.5mm?  That means I need to make up about 2.5mm of arbor/epoxy to make this seat work??  Or is this seat better not to use since it can't be sized exactly to the rod blank?

Personally, I would not build up or depend on the epoxy to hold.  I would use another type of seat.  

I will piggy back on this thread as I too am interested in the Minima and have questions about  it.  I am getting an MHX S661-2 blank with an butt OD of .29.   I am quite a newbie and do I have to get the smallest real seat available and or are there arbors for these reel seats???